// Whether you’re a blogger, a poet or a published novelist:
Ulysses 2.1 is the *definitive* package for all your creative
writing needs. Brainstorm, draft, revise, submit; distraction-free and fully
focused. No strings nor styles attached.
# A New Writing Experience
· Forget everything you
know about traditional text editors and word processors. Forget about
WYSIWYG, formats, rulers and page sizes. Then forget about common means of
managing your documents. Forget about the Finder, files & folders,
sub-sub-folders and Spotlight search results. Ulysses is not like that. Not
# The Semantic Editor
· At its core, Ulysses is a
semantic text editor that borrows concepts from Setext and LaTeX. It truly
separates content from presentation, written input from printed output.
You’ll not assign font-weights and colors to emphasize words or mark
introductory paragraphs; you’ll define “headlines” and
“comments” and structure and meaning.
# Dedicated and Devoted
· There’s nothing
superfluous in Ulysses. Fullscreen, Console Mode, Bookmarks, Text Trash,
multiple Notepads, term-centric Search & Replace, Filters, Collections,
coherent Document Previews — every feature serves a single purpose:
Your output as a writer. It can’t help you write… but it will help you create.
# Publishing Love
· Once your work is done, you
want to get it out. On the web, to the printer, at your agent’s. Due
to Ulysses’ semantic nature, anything is possible: Exclude documents,
include notes, strip out comments, style and format dialog and whatnot.
Export to PDF, ePub, LaTeX — even good ol’ DOC or to the web. Just remember:
Your editor might prefer plain text.
# Leader of the Pack
· Since its original release
in 2003, Ulysses’ interface and feature-set have quickly become the
blueprint for a whole plethora of similar products on Mac OS X. It has
literally sparked a creative writing revolution on platform, forever
redefining the way writers will work with their texts. It all started here,
and we’re *so*
not finished yet.
// Ulysses 2.1 boasts so many unique features, we can’t
even list them all. Here are some to whet your appetite:
- # Fonts & Colors · You have full control
over how your text looks and feels. Style every tag differently in every
mode, or keep it simply black on white throughout your project. You can even
save your themes and import those from other users.
- # Multiple Notepads · Ulysses features Document and Project
Notes, each with an unlimited amount of collapsable entries. Notepads
can be accessed in both Standard and Console Mode.
- # Text Trash · Erasing text selections via Backspace will not
delete that text from your project. Instead, you’ll find it in the
text trash. Reuse it from there, or delete it for good.
- # Project-wide S&R · Ulysses features what we call
“true term-centric” Search & Replace, offering
unprecedented fine-grain control in what traditionally is a Hit or Miss
feature. You’ll never replace the wrong “man”
- # Bookmarks · Ulysses introduces Manual
Bookmarks and fully automated “Style Jumpers” to your documents.
You can set, move and remove bookmarks right in the Paragraph Bar and jump to
them via an ever-present menu.
- # Internationalization · Ulysses is the *only* available
text editor of its class that features full localization in over twelve
languages. Write in Russian? You can work in Russian.
- # Project Templates · Any project can be used as a template for
new projects. Preferences, Labels, Groups, Filters, Collections,
Document and Project Notes — they all carry over.
- # Full 20-day trial · Ulysses has always been more than the sum
of its parts, and words fail to describe the creative freedom it can
offer. There’s also *still* nothing like it on any system. So
please… take your time and try for yourself.
“Ulysses was a godsend as I wrote my book in 2006—2007, and has grown to
be even more effective since. Highly recommended.”
- Semantic Text Editing
- Console Mode (aka Fullscreen)
- Extensible Export
- Project-Wide Search & Replace
- Multiple Document and Project Notes
- Counters for Characters, Words & Pages
- Configurable Metadata (status, label, dates)
- Integrated Backup
- Tabbed, Single-Window Interface
- True separation of presentation and content
- Term-centric Search & Replace
- Filters, Groups and Document Collections
- Coherent Document Previews
- Text Trash
- Permanent Save
New in 2.1:
- Native Fullscreen Mode
- Native Scrolling
- Support for Gestures
- ePub Exporter (beta)
- Web Exporter (beta)
- New default theme: iLysses
- Interface clean-up
New in 2.0:
- Bookmarks and Style-Jumpers
- Project Templates
- Notes in Console Mode
- Document Trash
- “Unfiled” Filter
- Highlighted Search Terms
- Document Counts
- Editor Selection Highlight
- What seems to be a million bug-fixes…
- Optimized for Mountain Lion
- Requires Mac OS X 10.6.8
- Some Export Plug-Ins might require additional software installations
Available Online Resources: